Worship in Pink
Worship in Pink is a breast health and breast cancer awareness program that provides free educational materials to churches and faith based organizations to spread the life saving message of early detection. We partner with local churches in southeastern Virginia to host Worship in Pink events in May and October.
Worship in Pink was created because:
- Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among women in the U.S.
- African-American women have a 40 percent higher death rate from breast cancer.
- African- American women tend to get breast cancer at an earlier age, when it is more aggressive.
WORSHIP IN PINK is a grassroots effort to partner the Affiliate with places of worship, providing resources to educate the members of their congregations on breast health and breast cancer. We encourage your congregation to join us in the fight against breast cancer and honor community survivors. All congregations are encouraged to participate in spreading the life-saving message of early detection at any time during the year, not only on Sundays. Many congregations hold events in May around Mother’s Day, in October in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month or near the dates of the Tidewater Race for the Cure (October). Choose the date that works best for you and your congregation!
As part of WORSHIP IN PINK, the Komen Tidewater Affiliate will provide breast health information materials and/or promotional items to each participating religious organization. Each individual organization is responsible for coordinating the event at their site. ANY religious organization in the Tidewater service area is encouraged to participate in spreading the life-saving message of early detection.
We have provided resources to help you plan and execute a successful event:
- Registration Form: Please click here to fill out our online registration form. Once this form is completed, you will receive an email with the Worship In Pink Toolkit.
- Planning Your Event/ Ideas for Worship in Pink: Use this document as a starting point for planning your Worship in Pink event, large or small. Feel free to create your own unique Worship in Pink signature activities.
- Talking Points and Bulletin Information for Worship in Pink: Our talking points and bulletin document gives you the information you need to make an impact on your congregation about breast health and cancer awareness. This information can be put in a bulletin insert format or used as a guide for talking about breast cancer awareness during your service or other event.
- Still have questions? Call (757) 490.7194 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in WORSHIP IN PINK and be sure to let us know how your event turned out. Send us pictures!!
Materials for this toolkit came from multiple sources including: